The first ever Acorns A Go-Go Groovy Vegan Fest will take place in the heart of Greenbelt
Saturday, October 12th
11:00am - 6:00pm
Family-friendly, Free, rain or shine
Acorns A Go-Go Groovy Vegan Festival is a new fall festival at the Roosevelt Center in Greenbelt. The event will be hosted by Honey LaBronx "The Vegan Drag Queen" who will be coming in from New York City. Enjoy vendors, performances, demos, talks and more in the heart of Greenbelt, where the eco-friendly spirit very much alive and well!
Learn lots more about the events and vendors on the Acorns A Go-Go facebook page! You can also connect with them on twitter @AcornsAGoGo2
About the name Acorns A Go-Go: "Acorns are abundant in the fall and oak trees (from which acorns grow) are a vital part of our ecological system. Acorns A Go-Go is taking place in historic Greenbelt, a Tree City, which exists in an oak forest. In addition to the acorn theme, they combined Go-Go -- for a funky, psychedelic 60's backdrop. It was in the 1960's the DC music genre Gogo was born and also a time when go-go dancers started dancing in DJ booths at the famous Whiskey A Go-Go in Hollywood, CA. The 60's decade was a time of movers and shakers and paradigm breakers. The times we live in call for a revival of that same energy of peace, love, understanding and vegan Go-Go! So, feel free to do your own thing to get into the 60's Go-Go spirit - put on your love beads, vegan Birkenstocks, pleather go-go boots, tie-dyed t-shirts, mod minis or whatever ideas you have to let your inner vegan flower child out to play!"
Some highlights in the schedule include:
- 9:30-10:55am Go-Go-beat Vegan Drum Circle! Bring bucket or synthetic drum
- 1:00-2:00pm Bad Weather Boyz
- 2:15-3:00pm Chris Colvin's Groovy Earth Music - Didgeridoo, Flute, Drums
- 3:00-5:00pm Bushmaster featuring Gary Brown
- 4:00-4:15pm or so Hula Hoop Contest! Bring your hoop if you have one
- 5:10-6:10pm Saleem Waters and spoken word by Maia Thandeka
- Pay Per View - viewers get back $1 to watch 4-minute videos documenting how animals are exploited for food, clothing, entertainment, experimentation
- Face-painting by Maia Thandeka, Henna painting - Kima Blue
- Kids activities - 11:30am - 3:30pm
- GoGo Dance and Costume contests
- Youth Circus Performer to juggle, walk on stilts, ride unicycle
Reel and Meal at the New Deal Cafe, Way Better Snacks, Fish Feel, The Greenbelt Forest Preserve, The Bead Sisters, Profusions of Glass, Henna Painting & Hemp Jewelry, ReDefine Your Mind, A Vegan Life, Hoola Hoops Lunar Leopard Hoops, Sea Shepherd, Utopia Film Fest, SandiScrub, Food Not Bombs, Capital Area Food Bank, Greenbelt Animal Control, Prince George's County Animal Management Division, Humane Wildlife Services, and more... including Neva Davis, jewelry, Cliff Powell, massage, Maia Thandeka, Face Painting, Ageless Aging, 72-year-old vegan runner, Dr. Betty Smith and... DARTT, Defending Animal Rights Today and Tomorrow, FARM, Farm Animal Rights Movement, GVN, Green Vegan Networking, OTCA, Open the Cages Alliance, PSAS, Poplar Spring Animal Sanctuary, UPC, United Poultry Concerns and VSDC, Vegetarian Society of DC.